Blueberry and Almond cake
It's blueberry season here but if you've got frozen blueberries you can make this cake all year. You could divide it into muffin tins or a friand pan if you prefer. I dust it with icing / powdered sugar to serve.
Recipe type: baking
Cuisine: oil-free, vegan
- 1 medium banana (120g peeled weight)
- ½ cup plant milk
- ½ cup hot water
- 20g chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp natural almond essence
- 200g plain flour
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 150g blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 80g almond meal / ground almonds (I make my own by grinding raw almonds in a spice grinder)
- 80g sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C / 350 degrees F
- Line a baking tin with baking / parchment paper. I use silicone mat in a 20 cm / 8" square tin. A 23cm / 9" round silicone mould would also work
- In a mixing bowl mash the banana together with the milk,
- Add the hot water, chia seeds, vinegar almond essence and mix well. Allow to stand while you mix the dry ingredients.
- In another mixing bowl mix the plain flour, wholemeal flour, blueberries, almond meal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together gently.
- Pour quickly into the prepared tin and level the surface with a spatula.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 40 minutes, a little less if the blueberries are fresh or for muffins.
- Leave the cake to cool for ten minutes or so in the tin before lifting it onto a cooling rack.
- Cut into 9-10 slices or squares. Freezes well.