Brown rice vegetable sushi rolls
I made these for a 'bring a plate' event as 'passarounds'. They were welcomed by gluten free, dairy free and vegetarians alike and were delicious even without any soy, wasabi or pickled ginger.
Recipe type: lunch
- 1 cup medium grain brown rice
- 2 cups cold water
- 40 ml rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 sheets nori
- 50g avocado (a quarter of an avocado)
- 70g grated carrot or cooked pumpkin
- 70g grated radish or daikon
- 70g red capsicum, finely sliced
- Handful of chives
- To serve (optional): pickled ginger, soy sauce, wasabi
- Rinse the rice grains in cold water and drain.
- Put the cup of drained rice and two cups of water in a saucepan on the stove, cover and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand, still covered, for 10 minutes.
- Mix the vinegar, sugar and salt together in a jug and pour over the warm rice.
- Stir, replace the lid and allow to cool.
- Once the rice has cooled, place a sheet of nori shiny side down on a sushi mat
- Place a third of the rice mixture over the half of the nori closest to you.
- Spread it out and press it down with wet hands or a silicone spatula.
- Spread a line of avocado across the rice and top with the vegetables.
- Add some chives and roll up tightly.
- Slice into ten pieces and serve or wrap in plastic wrap and keep in the fridge.