Creamy vegetable curry
This is an easy garlic-free curry which mainly uses ingredients in the freezer and pantry. The cashews add a sweetness and creaminess to the sauce. It freezes well for another day. I serve with brown basmati rice, popadoms cooked in my air-fryer and fruit chutney. Leftovers are also good as 'quesadillas' spread between flatbreads and toasted in a sandwich press.
Recipe type: vegan, whole food plant-based, oil-free
- 70g cashews plus one cup of boiling water to soak
- 800g potato, washed and cut into 1cm dice
- 200g brown onion, peeled and diced
- 300g carrot, washed and cut into 1cm pieces
- 500g cauliflower, stems and florets cut into small pieces (frozen is fine)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 100g spinach or silverbeet, finely shredded
- Put the cashews in a blender and pour over a cup of boiling water. Leave to soak for at least half an hour.
- Put the potato, onion and carrot in a large pan with half a litre of boiling water.
- Cover and bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and and simmer for ten minutes
- Add the cauliflower and spices and continue cooking, covered over a low heat, for fifteen to twenty minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend the cashews with their soaking liquid until smooth and add to the curry.
- Add the peas and spinach or silverbeet and simmer uncovered for another five minutes.
- Check that the potatoes and carrot are tender and add salt to taste. Some curry powder contains salt so you may not need to add any.