Giant sausage roll
Makes one large sausage roll to serve six. You don't need much pastry as the filling is quite structurally stable. The breadcrumbs absorb the moisture from the vegetables and fat from the sausage meat to keep it moist. If you make just before baking it won't take long to cook as the filling will still be warm. Don't add salt as sausage meat is usually well-salted.
Author: Rachel Knight
Serves: 6 servings
- A slurp of olive oil
- One medium red onion
- A large carrot
- Apple, core removed
- Chunk of pumpkin skin removed (about 300g)
- One fresh chilli pepper, seeds removed
- Generous teaspoon cumin seeds
- 500g good quality sausage meat (I unzipped six venison sausages)
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs (I process left over crusts and bread into breadcrumbs and keep in the freezer)
- Handful of parsley finely chopped
- 200g puff pastry (half a 400g block or a sheet and a half of ready rolled)
- Milk and sesame seeds to decorate.
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Run the onion, carrot, apple, pumpkin and chilli pepper through a food processor with a large grating disc attached or grate by hand into a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the grated vegetables with the cumin seeds for about 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- In a large bowl mix the sausage meat, breadcrumbs and parsley. Add the cooked vegetables whilst still warm and mix well.
- Roll out the pastry thinly on a floured work surface to a rectangle 30cm x 20cm. Join sheets if required by sealing the edges with a little water.
- Tip out the sausage mixture onto the pastry and form into a log-shape along the centre of the sheet.
- Bring the long edges together to wrap the filling, sealing with a little water.
- Turn over the sausage roll so the seam is at the bottom and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with a few sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
- Allow to stand for five minutes before serving in thick slices. Serve with buttered steamed cabbage and tomato ketchup.