rhubarb and almond jalousie
A puff pastry tart with a slotted lid allowing a peek of perfect pink rhubarb on a lemony almond filling.
Author: The Kitchen Garden
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 10-12 portions
- Two sheets of ready-made all-butter puff pastry
- 50g softened butter
- 50g sugar
- Two egg yolks
- One tablespoon plain flour
- 50g ground almonds
- Grated rind and juice of a lemon
- 250g rhubarb, about six stalks, chopped into 2cm lengths
- A little egg white to brush pie lid
- A spoonful of extra sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
- Put one pastry sheet on a baking tray lined with baking paper or silicon.
- Roll out the other so it's about 1cm bigger all round.
- Cream together the btter and sugar in a large bowl
- Add the egg yolks, flour, ground almonds, lemon rind and juice.
- Spread the mixture over the pasty on the baking tray, leaving a 2cm strip clear around the edge.
- Lay the rhubarb pieces over the almond mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining pastry sheet (the larger one) with a little flour.
- Fold in half (floury sides together) and make cuts every centimetre from the fold to 2cm from the edge.
- Moisten the border of the pastry on the baking tray with a little cold water.
- Flop the folded pastry over the top of the rhubarb and unfold it.
- Press the edges together to seal them.
- Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden.