1. A place on the fresh food garden course.
2. Ten packets of seeds – my pick would be: spring onions, carrots, cos lettuce, herbs, pak choi, rocket, white turnips, perpetual spinach, french beans, beetroot. With all these you’d have vegetables or salad for most of the year. $30.
3. Offer to create a herb garden for a loved one in a garden bed or a big planter box. Mint, chives, vietnamese mint, thyme, rosemary and french tarragon are all perennial so will come up year after year. Sow basil, dill, fennel coriander and parsley from seed each year. $50
4. Sixteen strawberry plants to fit in a 1.2 x 1.2m garden bed. About $40.
6. One, two, three or even four Campbell Tools in a gift box. A delight to use and they’ll last you a lifetime. From $40.
8. You can’t go far wrong with a good book.
9. A Gubba trug – get the genuine article as the cheap imitations crack and split in the sunshine. Use it as an ice bucket or a laundry basket. Buy a large wide one and use it as a potting bench. $24
10. A pottle of Trilogy ‘everything balm’ – for soothing hands, heels, elbows, knees and lips. $20
Here are some more gift ideas if these don’t fit the bill.